Thursday, November 29, 2012

A not so proud mama moment...

The moment when your daughter imitates you in the worst way possible has happened in my house tonight and I shall share my shame with you....

While we were cleaning up Amelia's toys and books before bed...

Amelia:  (in the sweetest little voice)  "Oh F*ck!"

Mama:  (pretending I didn't hear what I just heard)  "What did you say, honey?"

Amelia:  (in a louder and clearer voice)  "Oh F*ck!"

Mama:  (in shock...)  "Oh, where did you hear that word from honey?"

Amelia:  (proud as punch)  "From YOU, mama!"

Mama:  (heart sinking in my chest)  "You know honey, that word isn't very nice and mama should NOT have said it and so you shouldn't say it either.  It's just not a nice word to say."

Amelia:  (trying to make sense of what I just told her)  "Why not F*ck, Mama?"

Mama:  (trying to decide wether to laugh or cry)  "Because honey, it's not a nice word.  You know how you always ask mama if I'm happy?  Well, that word makes mama very, very sad and I will probably cry if you say it again."

Amelia:  (completely casual)  "Okay, I won't say it again. Are you happy now?"

Mama:  "Yes, mama will be VERY VERY happy if you never say it again."

Amelia:  "Okay mama."

And that was that.....for now....

All I have to say about having that conversation with your adorable two year old daughter is....


Oh F*CK!!!!!  





3 comments:

  1. I just read this:

    The first time your child swears, ignore it - she may simply be repeating a new word much as she would any other, and paying no attention can help it disappear from her vocabulary. Acting shocked or horrified teaches your child that the word is powerful, and gives her an incentive to repeat it. But if your child keeps cursing, then remind her of your rules - you can say something like, "We don't use that word in our family." And remember, kids follow your example. If you curse and swear, expect your child to do it as well.


    Sounds like you did the right thing. I usually try to ignore the bad behavior the first time. I don't want her to realized that it has power.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the sweetest story. You are such a good mother! I love the way you talk to Amelia.

    ReplyDelete